Subject: [bug#43173] Ensure that the correct linux-libre deblobbing scripts are used

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 19:53:02 -0400

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
> We would still be able to use that method, by effectively reverting this
> patch, as desired.

I suppose that's true.  Fair enough :)

> The intended effect of this patch is that it will not be possible to
> accidentally use the incorrect deblob scripts.

I agree that it would be good to prevent this.

> I think we should try to make it harder to make mistakes, but not forget
> that we can remove the guardrails when we want to.

That makes sense.  I withdraw my objection to the overall approach, but
I have a suggestion regarding the file organization:

Instead of having all 'linux-libre-*-version' definitions in one
section, all 'deblob-scripts-*' definitions in a second section, and all
'linux-libre-*-pristine-source' definitions in a third, I suggest
putting, for each kernel version, all three of these definitions
together in one place.  That way, when performing the most common kernel
updates, everything that needs to be changed is in one place, and the
corresponding patch to Guix would have just one hunk.

More concretely, this would mean moving each 'deblob-scripts-X.Y'
definition down, between the corresponding 'linux-libre-X.Y-version' and
'linux-libre-X.Y-pristine-source' definitions.

What do you think?

       Mark