Subject: Re: bug#43166: The issues.guix.gnu.org is hard to read in emacs-w3m.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 07:57:47 +0000

Hi Mark,

> However, in both EWW and Lynx, the embedded patches are rendered
> double-spaced, i.e. there are empty lines inserted between every two
> adjacent lines of every patch.  I guess that's because Mumi wraps each
> individual line within its own 'pre' and 'div' elements, instead of
> putting the entire patch within a single 'pre' element.

It does indeed wrap each line, because otherwise we can’t style the
lines e.g. to highlight additions with green and deletions with red.

People who use Emacs anyway will have Emacs apply its own fontification,
so that’s of no use to them.  But people who use Emacs would probably
want to use the Emacs interface to Debbugs anyway.

The extra spacing between lines as seen in EWW is not intentional, and I
did not see this in my local tests.  (Perhaps different patches render
differently in EWW?)  I’ll add this to my TODO list.

> As a result, for users of EWW or Lynx, Mumi is still far inferior to the
> web interface of Debian's bug tracking system (used by bugs.gnu.org).

Note that you can also view the raw messages.  Every message part has
its own link; following that link you can see the unstyled plain text
rendering.

There’s nothing wrong with the sample HTML you posted.  Yes, mumi’s is
more verbose than just wrapping text in <pre>…</pre> because we need
more markup to tell browsers how to style the patch.

-- 
Ricardo