Subject: bug#43164: closed (Re: bug#43164: 26.3.50; project.el still broken under Emacs 26.3)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 12:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43164: 26.3.50; project.el still broken under Emacs 26.3

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43164: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43164
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43164: 26.3.50; project.el still broken under Emacs 26.3
From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 13:48:01 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This is breaking Eglot for Emacs 26.3 users:
>> https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/issues/530
>
> Over there, Andrii Kolomoiets has identified the culprit commit:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=b63c5a7efc89c23230f53a346e29e72a9b4faafc

I fixed this in 5142149758333cfddc25c8c696e0e6f322e37d62, by not adding
the keybinding to a non-existing keymap.  I tested merely by loading the
project.el file in Emacs 26.3 and checking it loaded OK.  I bumped the
version to 0.5.2 and it should be in GNU ELPA soon.

Directly calling M-x project-other-tab-command in Emacs 26.3 will still
fail, but that's not a show-stopping bug as this one was.

In the future, we must make sure to honour the advice in the file's
header:

   ;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "26.3") (xref "1.0.2"))
    
   ;; This is a GNU ELPA :core package.  Avoid using functionality that
   ;; not compatible with the version of Emacs recorded above.

João

Subject: 26.3.50; project.el still broken under Emacs 26.3
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 01:13:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. Start Emacs 26.3 using 'emacs -Q'
2. M-x list-packages
3. Install the 'project' package as usual.
4. Quit Emacs (C-x C-c)
5. Start Emacs 26.3 again using 'emacs -Q'
6. M-x toggle-debug-on-error (only for the backtrace)
7. M-x package-initialize

An error about the void variable `tab-prefix-map' is signalled.  That's
expected, as that variable is new in Emacs 27.

Please ensure that project.el and other packages that are shipped with
Emacs either stay compatible with the versions they purport to support,
or bump the required version to Emacs 27.

Backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable tab-prefix-map)
  (define-key tab-prefix-map "p" (function project-other-tab-command))
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/phst/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.1/project-autoloads.el" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 2596
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/phst/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.1/project-autoloads.el" "/home/phst/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.1/project-autoloads.el" nil t)
  load("/home/phst/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.1/project-autoloads" nil t)
  package--activate-autoloads-and-load-path(#s(package-desc :name project :version (0 5 1) :summary "Operations on the current project" :reqs ((emacs (26 3)) (xref (1 0 2))) :kind nil :archive nil :dir "/home/phst/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.1" :extras ((:url . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/project.html")) :signed t))
  package--load-files-for-activation(#s(package-desc :name project :version (0 5 1) :summary "Operations on the current project" :reqs ((emacs (26 3)) (xref (1 0 2))) :kind nil :archive nil :dir "/home/phst/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.1" :extras ((:url . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/project.html")) :signed t) nil)
  package-activate-1(#s(package-desc :name project :version (0 5 1) :summary "Operations on the current project" :reqs ((emacs (26 3)) (xref (1 0 2))) :kind nil :archive nil :dir "/home/phst/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.1" :extras ((:url . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/project.html")) :signed t) nil deps)
  package-activate(project)
  package-initialize()
  funcall-interactively(package-initialize)
  call-interactively(package-initialize record nil)
  command-execute(package-initialize record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "package-initialize" "package-init")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "package-initialize" "package-init")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

In GNU Emacs 26.3.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.14)
 of 2020-06-29
Repository revision: 7497ee44b471f69ce59d131a6dece261e871534f
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux rodete

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-checking --enable-gtk-deprecation-warnings
 --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only --with-modules --without-pop
 --with-mailutils --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils phst skeleton derived edmacro kmacro pcase
ffap thingatpt url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars mailcap
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv rx gnutls dbus xml
compile comint ansi-color ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 117332 5280)
 (symbols 48 22639 1)
 (miscs 40 42 114)
 (strings 32 35629 1385)
 (string-bytes 1 970415)
 (vectors 16 17080)
 (vector-slots 8 536834 7574)
 (floats 8 54 63)
 (intervals 56 221 0)
 (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Falls Sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben
sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie
alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail
an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you received this communication by mistake,
please don’t forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and
attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.