Subject: bug#43143: Building iwd on armhf triggers kernel panic

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 20:02:13 -0700

On 2020-08-31, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2020-08-31, Mark H. Weaver wrote:
>> Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> I've been getting kernel panics when i try to build iwd, a dependency of
>>> network-manager.
>>
>> Which kernel package variant(s) and version(s) have you seen panic when
>> building iwd?  What hardware?
>
> The hardware is veryron-speedy (a.k.a. asus chromebook c201p), with a
> rockchip rk3288 CPU and 4GB of ram; I might be able to test on
> additional hardware at some point (I've got a pretty old guix install on
> a novena, but don't recall if it was in good working order last time it
> booted).

Ok, managed to build iwd just fine on a novena imx6 platform, running
armhf on "linux-libre" 5.4.25 (haven't yet finished upgrading the
system).

So it appears to potentially be hardware-specific? The imx6 vs. rk3288
are pretty different platforms; I'm not remembering off the top of my
head what the major differences are, but if the build is detecting some
optional cpu feature, and the test is assuming one way or the
other... though still, triggering a kernel panic is a bit exciting way
to fail!

live well,
  vagrant