Subject: bug#43143: Building iwd on armhf triggers kernel panic

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 22:40:05 -0700

On 2020-08-31, Mark H. Weaver wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I've been getting kernel panics when i try to build iwd, a dependency of
>> network-manager.
>
> Which kernel package variant(s) and version(s) have you seen panic when
> building iwd?  What hardware?

The hardware is veryron-speedy (a.k.a. asus chromebook c201p), with a
rockchip rk3288 CPU and 4GB of ram; I might be able to test on
additional hardware at some point (I've got a pretty old guix install on
a novena, but don't recall if it was in good working order last time it
booted).

[email-masked] 5.4.57, and presumably older versions as
well, as I had commits in my local guix from mid June disabling iwd on
network-manager.

I've had issues booting linux-libre 5.6+ on this hardware, and struggled
to get the right initrd modules to use the regular "linux-libre"
variant, though in theory that should also be possible, but might
require additional kernel config options, and I'd like to postpone
exploring those rabbit holes for the moment...

live well,
  vagrant