Subject: 23.1; save-excursion and goto-char fail

From: RSridhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 15:33:05 +0530

1. I have a lisp code which saves file buffer and does some manipulation
on the 
file in shell. subsequently it is reverted. However I have tried
save-excursion 
before saving file which did not restore the file position on reverting.
So I tr
ied setq point to some var and after reverting restore point with
goto-char. Thi
s also did not ork in restoring previous position although (point)
function did 
return the correct  value from the goto-char function in lisp. 

2. The file manipulated contains utf-8 chars. Every now and then octal
values di
splay as language text but most of the time only octal utf-8 chars are
displayed
. Also the devanaagari font that is displayed incorrectly when it is
displayed..
. The (itrans) short i is to be to the left of the consonant but gets
associated
 with the right consonant. 

3. re-search-forward function fails regular expression with octal code
   
In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.5)
 of 2009-08-26 on x86-2.fedora.phx.redhat.com
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.10602000
configured using `configure  '--build=i386-redhat-linux-gnu'
'--host=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=i586-redhat-linux-gnu'
'--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
'--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
'--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var'
'--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg'
'--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xft' '--with-xpm'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=i586-redhat-linux-gnu'
'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32
-march=i586 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/focus-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/nxml-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nxml-mode/rng-auto.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/nxml-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/php-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/po-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpm-spec-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading cua-base...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

-- 
RSridhar <[email-masked]>