Subject: Re: bug#43120: 28.0.50; fido-mode: M-j before completions appear selects wrong choice

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 16:23:54 -0700

Hello Lars,

On Tue 01 Sep 2020 at 04:19PM +02, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I think the fix would be to clear completion-content-when-empty when the
>> minibuffer exits, instead of leaving data from the last completion
>> there.
>
> Oh yeah, definitely -- it should be cleared on minibuffer exit.  I'm
> guessing that should go in...  `completion--complete-and-exit'?  Would
> it be possible for you to propose a patch that does that?  I don't use
> fido-mode myself, and it's probably easier for you to test whether
> that's the right fix.

I'm certainly happy to test a patch but I don't think that can be the
right place to clear the variable.

The docstring for that function says it exits from a require-match
minibuffer.  But completion gets used in other minibuffers too.  So we
need to clear the variable somewhere which gets called for every
minibuffer exit.

-- 
Sean Whitton