Subject: Re: bug#43120: 28.0.50; fido-mode: M-j before completions appear selects wrong choice

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 13:40:28 +0100

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> I see in the side thread there seems to be a straightforward and logical
> fix.  If that makes sense globally and also fixes it for Sean, I'm fine
> with it, otherwise I'd suggest having a second look at the original
> problem that prompted the problematic patch, specifically at why
> fido-mode didn't suffer from it.

It didn't, but it sure does now.

I just noticed that this affects bare-bones fido-mode as well, i.e. even
without using M-j we get some akward and very  highly annoying cache.

In an Emacs -Q with fido-mode enabled:

   (bound-and-true-p [press C-h f RET here, slowly])

now move the point to the "setq" in, say

   (setq blabla )

And type C-h f RET here, quickly.  You'll be presented with
`bound-and-true-p`'s doc, not `setq`'s.

This is a regression: the bug should be fixed ASAP.  Maybe some
"clearing" as was suggested is in order.  I'm not very confortable
writing that patch right now.  Can anyone else do it?  Or should we
revert the original fix instead in the meantime?

João