Subject: bug#43120: 28.0.50; fido-mode: M-j before completions appear selects wrong choice

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 19:27:49 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I don't understand the reason of being for the patch.  I didn't read the
>> bug, but I do read this in NEWS:
>>
>>     +*** 'icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input' behavior change
>>     +Previously, choosing a different completion with commands like 'C-.'
>>     +and then hitting enter would choose the default completion.  Doung
>>     +this will now choose the completion under point.
>>
>> Now, I have never observed this reported behaviour in fido-mode even
>> before the patch.
>
> It was reported as a problem in icomplete, but I don't know how fido
> relates to icomplete.

This makes sense then.  fido-mode is basically icomplete-mode with
different defaults and slightly different bindings, resulting in a
visual experience that looks vaguely like Ido (Fido = "fake Ido").

However, the description of this icomplete problem sounds like something
where fido-mode and icomplete-mode should exhibit exactly the same
behaviour, i.e. work along the very same code.  So I'm baffled as to why
that problem affected icomplete and not fido-mode.  Almost equally
baffled as to why it now breaks fido-mode.

I see in the side thread there seems to be a straightforward and logical
fix.  If that makes sense globally and also fixes it for Sean, I'm fine
with it, otherwise I'd suggest having a second look at the original
problem that prompted the problematic patch, specifically at why
fido-mode didn't suffer from it.

João