Subject: bug#4312: 23.1; save-excursion and goto-char fail

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:33:01 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> 1. I have a lisp code which saves file buffer and does some
>> manipulation on the file in shell.  subsequently it is reverted.
>> However I have tried save-excursion before saving file which did not
>> restore the file position on reverting.
>
> save-excursion uses markers to remember the position.  But markers only
> keep track of positions by keeping track of insertions/deletions and
> adjusting the position accordingly.  When the changes happen outside
> Emacs, this doesn't work too well, because Emacs sees your revert-buffer
> as just one big delete&insert.

insert-file-contents tries to keep markers if possible, but that only
works if the marker points into the unchanged head or tail of the
replaced contents.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."