Subject: bug#43117: [PATCH] Add .git-blame-ignore-revs file

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 12:38:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> For example, if a commit fixed a typo in a doc string, I'd much rather
>> see the commit that added that text than the one that fixed the typo.

I think I'd want commits like that included in git blame...

> In short, the more I think about this feature, the less it makes sense
> to me to use it in our project.  It's probably fine for a
> single-developer projects, where the preferences are never in
> conflict.  But ours is a very different project.

If Emacs was a project that did extensive "janitorial" fixups, then it
might make more sense.  For instance, if we were to fix all whitespace
to be consistent, then having a way to ignore that would be nice.  But
we don't, so I'm not sure adding a .git-blame-ignore-revs file helps us
much.

The only thing I'd want to use such a file for would be for things that
really are 100% non-functional: Whitespace changes and spelling fixes
for comments.

So I don't think such a file would help the Emacs project.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no