Subject: bug#43115: 26.3; Info menu

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 09:13:07 -0700 (PDT)

Please consider updating the Info menu.

For one thing, it should have an item for incremental search, which
nowadays is far more useful than `s'.

Most important is to promote use of the Index.  Consider putting this
submenu first in the menu.  Follow it with other search/lookup items.
Put navigation keys later in the menu.

Maybe organize into submenus: Index, Search, Menu Item, History,
Navigation.  As it is now, the menu is cluttered with navigation keys.
Navigation can be last, IMO, especially as it's covered also by the
header and breadcrumbs.  Findig `l' and `r' is more important, and more
difficult, than finding `n' etc.

The most important key to promote is `i'.  In a way, it's too bad that
this is in a submenu (Index).

If (nonincremental) `Search Next' is to be in the menu then please show
its key explicitly as `s'.  The menu should serve especially as a bridge
to using keyboard keys - for discovery.  Don't encourage or force users
to repeatedly use menu item `Search Next'.

Consider giving a key binding to `info-apropos'.  (I bind it to `a' in
`info+.el'.)

Consider changing the name of item `Reference' to `Related' or `Follow
Link' or something else that users might better understand than
`Reference'.

Please change "indices" to "indexes" (everywhere).  Just google for
"indexes versus indices" to see why (including, but not limited to,
the fact that Emacs uses American English).

Finally, at least on MS Windows, the `l' and `I' keys shown as shortcuts
are difficult or impossible to distinguish.  And the right arrow for a
submenu is difficult to distinguish from character `>' (the latter is
ever-so-slightly farther to the right).  Dunno whether something can be
done about this problem, but IMO we should try to do better.

HTH.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18362
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''