Subject: bug#43107: Errors in man pages

From: Helge Kreutzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 19:37:26 +0200

Hello Paul,
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:26:09AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 8/31/20 9:36 AM, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > If you read man-pages(7)
> 
> What's 'man-pages(7)', and what order does it suggest for gzip's man pages?

The description how a man page should look like. Usually your system
should have a package called "manpages" or similar. This package
contains the basic set of man pages. One of them is the man page
called man-pages[1]. So on the console you issue

man man-pages

And you get the description of how a man page should look like. 

Most likely it works already out of the box. If not, you might want to
search with your package manager.

Greetings

       Helge

[1] Actually, this page is translated in many languages already. So in
    case you have loclized man pages installed, this page might even
    come in your favorite language as well …

-- 
      Dr. Helge Kreutzmann                     [email-masked]
           Dipl.-Phys.                   http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
        64bit GNU powered                     gpg signed mail preferred
           Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/