Subject: Re: bug#43103: 28.0.50; Default ElDoc composition strategy in Elisp mode (eldoc-documentation-strategy)

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 12:11:37 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> other people would like these things, hence my proposal.  I don't mind
>> the echo area jumping in height one or two lines once in a while,
>
> I mind. Unfortunately.
>
>> but if
>> others do, there are tools to control it, which we can leverage to good
>> effect.  That's it.
>
> What tools?

eldoc-echo-area-use-multiline-p, as I mentiond at least 3 times in this
thread.

>> You said you wished for a command to "show documentation" and I
>> pointed
>> you to M-x eldoc, a new command which seems to do what you want, and
>> that you might not be aware of since it wasn't discussed.

> And I told you its semantics are broken.

I think you are still confusing M-x eldoc and M-x eldoc-doc-buffer,
which are two different commands.  For the record, both commands and
surrounding functionality can and probably will be improved.

> Showing the text intended to be displayed in the echo area (one line,
> usually; maybe a few) in a full-size window is ridiculous.

This is not true in the generality of ElDoc usage, of course: LSP users
are confronted with very verbose at-point documentation.  And a window
and buffer in Emacs are not the same thing, something I assumed you
knew.

>> If you don't
>> wish to pursue this suggestion, fine.  I am in no obligation to waste my
>> time replying to every new off-topic point you bring up, I do so only
>> where I think I can add value.  Bickering with you is not one of those
>> things.
>
> If you try actually reading what I wrote, you might find some
> actionable suggestions there.

I told you at least once that it's rude to accuse other people of not
reading your emails.  It's a lie and a disrespect for the precious time
they invest in reading them and replying to them as they see fit.  Not
to mention wholly unproductive.  Because I don't have time for this, I'm
putting you in my ignore list, joined by very few, if anyone.  So now
you'll _know_ that I won't be reading what you write, and the reason why
I won't.

João