Subject: bug#43103: 28.0.50; Default ElDoc composition strategy in Elisp mode (eldoc-documentation-strategy)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 13:52:00 +0300

On 01.09.2020 01:50, João Távora wrote:

> The echo area
> has been there from ElDoc's first design, it is not one of the new tools
> that ElDoc offers now.

My point is -- as is well-known -- the echo area has a long-standing 
problem. If the message is multiline, the windows will jump. Since the 
echo area is still the main means of conveying Eldoc notifications, 
changing Eldoc behavior to multiline messages is problematic.

> For your benefit, and to wrap up this exchange, here's a summary of what
> I propose: In Elisp mode, I've experimented with the
> `eldoc-documentation-compose` strategy and I like the results: it's
> useful to have Elisp function signatures, Elisp variable documentation
> and Elisp diagnostics displayed somewhere, constantly updated.

Indeed.

> I think
> other people would like these things, hence my proposal.  I don't mind
> the echo area jumping in height one or two lines once in a while,

I mind. Unfortunately.

> but if
> others do, there are tools to control it, which we can leverage to good
> effect.  That's it.

What tools?

>>>> One particular way it's unfortunate, is I actually *would* like a
>>>> generic "show documentation" feature with an existing key
>>>> binding. Shame it doesn't really work for that purpose.
>>> Try M-x eldoc and global-set-key and tell us what's missing.
>>
>> Already told you. I'm not sure how many different ways I can explain
>> things, if you keep snipping those explanations out.
> 
> You said you wished for a command to "show documentation" and I pointed
> you to M-x eldoc, a new command which seems to do what you want, and
> that you might not be aware of since it wasn't discussed.

And I told you its semantics are broken.

Showing the text intended to be displayed in the echo area (one line, 
usually; maybe a few) in a full-size window is ridiculous.

> If you don't
> wish to pursue this suggestion, fine.  I am in no obligation to waste my
> time replying to every new off-topic point you bring up, I do so only
> where I think I can add value.  Bickering with you is not one of those
> things.

If you try actually reading what I wrote, you might find some actionable 
suggestions there.