Subject: Re: bug#43079: guix ignores available substitutes

From: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 17:59:42 +0200

On 28.08.20 16:23, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I’m not sure what conclusions you’re drawing here?  :-)

That my laptop doesn't really get substitutes...

> As you found, each entry in /var/guix/substitute/cache has a TTL,
> including for negative lookups.  This is why one can observe different
> behaviors on different machines: one machine can think the substitute is
> unavailable (cached negative entry not yet expired), while the other got
> a positive lookup soon after the substitute had been “baked” on the
> server.
>
> TTLs vary.  For successful lookups, this is usually a long TTL (see
> ‘guix publish --ttl’).  For negative lookups, there are two cases: a
> 1h-or-so TTL for “absolute no”, and a 5mn TTL for
> “substitute-being-baked no”.

So my question is how I can influence/change that behaviour for my
client? Because the current situation on my laptop is awful. And if it
doesn't get better I will move away that system from Guix System...