Subject: bug#43073: Trim/hide full email headers on debbugs

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 18:14:17 -0500

Bob Proulx wrote:

> Where is the seed that the search engines start with to crawl the db
> tree?  I couldn't find it.

The db pages are linked from the main page https://debbugs.gnu.org/
Is that what you are asking? ("static indices")

> But the upstream allows the robots to crawl the cgi main bug ticket
> display pages.  Maybe they have better resources.  Was this allowed on
> debbugs previously and then blocked due to load problems?

That is my recollection, but it has been a long time.

> I am wondering if we should allow it again as a test and then see what
> the current state of things results.  Because then the main pages
> would be indexed and this would also avoid the problem.  WDYT?

My initial thought is that it is not a good idea, but feel free to try
it out.

Another idea is that if /usr/lib/debbugs/db2html is impenetrable, just
stick a "formail -I Received:" somewhere near the end of it?
Not the most efficient method, but if it works, may be good enough.