Subject: Emacs system encoding error, with scandinavian letters in folder name. (Windows)

From: Jonas Bæklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:12:33 +0200

Hey
I am really enjoying using emacs, but i have found an error that makes my
work flow a little slower.

I have tested the issue on the version 23.1.1 on a windows xp, have also
found the problem in 22.2.1

First i recognized the problem, when I used AUCtex and from emacs called an
external pdf-viewer called sumatraPDF.
SumatraPDF then saved its settings in c:/Documents and Settings/Jonas
B'klund/Applikation Data
But my user on the system is "Jonas Bæklund", so the call from emacs have
changed the danish letter æ to ' .
When I called the pdf-viewer directly from windows or from the commandspromt
it saved its settings in the correct folder.

Playing around with emacs and sumatraPDF, I found that it is with nearly
100% certainty isn't sumatraPDF that is the problem:
The reason is that I tried to run emacs on my desktop, it starts up nicely,
but when I tried to open the internal Top Level Customization Group, it
reported the following error:

defconst: Cannot open doc string file "c:/Documents and Settings/Jonas
B\346klund/Skrivebord/emacs-23.1/lisp/wid-edit.elc"

Here it should be said that Skrivebord is the danish word for Desktop.
So it seems that there is some error in the encoding of the username/ folder
name in emacs, that have changed æ to \346

Hope you can find some solution, since it could be nice to get rid of this
extra "user" when using emacs with sumatraPDF.

/Jonas Bæklund