Subject: Re: bug#43050: 28.0.50; portable dump file name should respect program-prefix config option

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 01:16:35 -0500

Glenn Morris wrote:

>> The only thing that's missing, AFAICT, is that "make install" should
>> apply the prefix to the dumper file name.
>
> There's a patch for that in https://debbugs.gnu.org/42790

However, that probably isn't enough since by experiment it seems as if
Emacs prefers "emacs.pdmp" to more specific names. So if you have an
Emacs configured without a name transformation and one configured with a
name transformation (and some different options) installed in the same
place, trying to start the second one fails with:

  emacs: could not load dump file "/path/to/emacs.pdmp": not built for
  this Emacs executable

So you can't have two different Emacs installed in the same place,
which defeats the purpose of configure's name transformation options.

Ie this kind of thing fails:

configure --prefix=/tmp/EMACS --without-x --program-suffix=-nox
...
make install
rename installed "emacs.pdmp" to "emacs-nox.pdmp" [1]

configure --prefix=/tmp/EMACS
...
make install

[1] You also have to make a symlink "emacs-28.0.50-nox.pdmp" if you
want to be able to use the binary under the name "emacs-28.0.50-nox"
as well as "emacs-nox".

This whole business seems rather fragile.

I guess putting the fingerprint in the pdmp name is the only proper solution.
Hope someone knows how to do that...