Subject: Re: bug#43047: 28.0.50; Closing Gnus server then searching it results in unrecoverable breakage

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 09:54:48 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> That's as far as I've gotten now. I will continue debugging this, but
>> I'm hanging it here first to remind myself, and in case anyone else
>> wants to take a whack at it.
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "NPR/imaps Name or service not known")
>>   make-network-process(:name "*nnimap*" :buffer #<buffer *nnimap NPR
>> nil *nntpd**> :host "NPR" :service "imaps" :nowait nil :tls-parameters
>> nil :coding nil)
>
> Reading this bug report, it's somewhat unclear what the problem is.  Is
> "NPR" really the name of the server you're connecting to, or is that the
> problem?  That Gnus is trying to connect to "NPR"?

Yes, the server is correct: nnimap+NPR. Once I get that error above, I
can't reconnect, and get the same error for all nnimap backends.

I'm 90% sure the problem is that searching leads to a code path that
doesn't first check if the server is open, so `nnoo-change-server' is
never called, and the server variables for all imap servers get
cross-wired somehow. But I still haven't taken the time to step through
it in depth.