Subject: Re: bug#43019: Bundle modus-operandi-theme and modus-vivendi-theme with Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 09:13:58 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> In technical terms, how would this affect their development?  Do I need
>> to change their git repo to some other source?  How will new
>> commits/releases be synced with Emacs?  Would development be shared with
>> emacs-devel or some other mailing list?
>
> From my POV, the ideal arrangement would be for you to tell us when to
> sync the version in Emacs, or maybe even push the changes yourself.

Here's my understanding of how this would work:

- We start with just reviewing and then installing the currently
  released ELPA version on the master branch.

- When Protesilaos thinks it's time (for example, when he tags a new
  version), he opens a bug report with an email to [email-masked]
  letting us know that we should please merge the new version.  Attached
  to that email is a patch against emacs.git, where the commit message
  follows the format of commit 99f8a1c91733 in emacs.git.

- Other than that, the workflow stays the same with regards to GNU ELPA.
  This is a good thing to maintain, since that means that users can
  easily install the latest version of the theme should they want or
  need to.

Eli, please correct me if anything above is incorrect or unsatisfactory.

(In the future, the easiest would probably be if Protesilaos requested
commit access on Savannah to just push any changes directly to emacs.git
himself.  But there is no particular need to do this immediately.)

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas