Subject: bug#43015: git-fetched packages' working copy is not writable

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 12:22:56 +0300

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 11:13:59AM +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> the working copy of a package build when the package was git-fetched is not
> writable.
> 
> On the other hand, if it's url-fetched, it's perfectly writable.
> 
> Shall we fix this on core-updates ?

(ins)efraim@E5400 ~/workspace/guix$ git grep make-files-writable | grep unpack | grep gnu/packages
gnu/packages/bioinformatics.scm:         (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable
gnu/packages/code.scm:                    (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable
gnu/packages/djvu.scm:         (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable
gnu/packages/java.scm:         (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable
gnu/packages/java.scm:         (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable
gnu/packages/java.scm:         (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable
gnu/packages/java.scm:         (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable
gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm:         (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable
gnu/packages/ocaml.scm:         (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable
gnu/packages/ruby.scm:                    (add-after 'unpack 'make-files-writable

My only concern would be if there were files which weren't supposed to
be writable. We're building the package, not making changes to be
submitted upstream or anything, so I don't see that as being a reason to
hold back.

I'm in favor

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted