Subject: bug#43013: closed (Re: bug#43013: System reconfigure: expection reached when executing `start` on "file-system-/sys/kernel/debug" // and an unrelated "nouveau"-bug?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 12:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43013: System reconfigure: expection reached when executing `start` on "file-system-/sys/kernel/debug" // and an unrelated "nouveau"-bug?

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43013: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43013
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43013: System reconfigure: expection reached when executing `start` on "file-system-/sys/kernel/debug" // and an unrelated "nouveau"-bug?
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: raingloom <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 14:20:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

> I have this same issue on my Thinkpad, no Nouveau. I also had issues on
> my AMDGPU setup. If it's related to graphics, it doesn't seem driver
> specific.
>
> It seems that reconfigure only fails during the build phase, not when
> it's actually activating the new system, because running reconfigure
> again causes no errors.

Yes this is harmless error that goes away by reconfiguring again. This
has been discussed here: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42826.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: System reconfigure: expection reached when executing `start` on "file-system-/sys/kernel/debug" // and an unrelated"nouveau"-bug?
From: [email-masked]
To: Bug guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 09:34:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello everyone,

I'm recently running into problems updating my system. I had not 
reconfigured for a while (1~2 months) and now, when I reconfigure, I get 
the error message below.
At first I thought it might be related to a specific guix commit, but I 
have now tried four times over the course of 2 weeks, and I always get 
the same error.

Strangely enough, the only reason why I noticed something is not right 
is that nouveau's displaying behaviour would be weird after updating.
That is, it seems to either have changed my desktop resolution or 
applied a form of magnification on all text displayed (sddm, terminal, 
...)
I have no actual clue if these two things are related to each other AT 
ALL. I was just confused, because if they were totally unrelated,
I would struggle to understand why these two things happen concurrently 
;-)

While the error message is in german, I believe to have translated the 
more important chunks in the Subject field.

##### error message #####
guix system: Bootloader erfolgreich auf „/dev/sdb“ installiert
guix system: error: Ausnahme aufgetreten bei der Ausführung von „start“ 
auf Dienst „file-system-/sys/kernel/debug“:
Throw to key `match-error' with args `("match" "no matching pattern" 
("none" "/sys/kernel/debug" "debugfs" () #f #f #f))'.
#######################

As always, any help is appreciated. One good thing is that I finally 
learn the virtues of roll-back and switch-generation :)

Have a good day,
Olivier