Subject: Re: bug#43004: 28.0.50; Test failures due to symlinked Emacs sources

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 22:54:21 +0200

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 23:20:19 +0300 Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 16.10.2020 17:48, Stephen Berman wrote:
>> Yes, please.  I also just realized that I had run the patched batch mode
>> tests from my home directory, i.e., following the symlink.  When I run
>> them from the source directory without following the symlink, I get the
>> same five failures again (i.e., with the patch) that I had gotten before
>> without the patch.  So much for that attempt.
>
> So... the patch doesn't work?
>
> I'm not sure what would be the best change here, or whether your usage is
> something we absolutely need to support in 'make check' (Lars? do we?), but
> one thing that should help is the exact examples of strings ( absolute file
> names) that mismatch.

I've attached the output of two batch runs using the patched
elisp-mode-tests.el.  The first run was executed from my home directory,
the second run was executed from the partition the file is really
located on, which is symlinked from my home directory:

(expand-file-name
"~/src/emacs/emacs-master/test/lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode-tests.el")
=>
"/home/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/test/lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode-tests.el"

(file-truename
"/home/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/test/lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode-tests.el")
=>
"/datadisk/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/test/lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode-tests.el"

On the first run there are no unexpected failures, on the second, there
are five unexpected failures.

Steve Berman