Subject: Re: bug#43003: 28.0.50; comint-password-prompt-regexp too restrictive

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 11:26:10 +0200

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 15:41:57 +0200 Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> True, I wasn't thinking about that.  Then I guess it's best to leave
>> comint-password-prompt-regexp as is and I'll just change it locally.
>> The problem I have with it doesn't seem to be widespread, to say the
>> least.  So feel free to close the bug.
>
> OK; done.

A postscript with additional datapoints: In my OP, the the system that
the problem occurs on (Linux From Scratch) uses openssh 8.2p1, while the
system without the problem (an older Linux From Scratch) uses openssh
7.9p1.  I've now reproduced the problem on two other GNU/Linux systems:
current openSUSE Tumbleweed, which uses openssh 8.3p1 (and I see the
problem here on two different machines), and openSUSE Leap 15.2, which
uses openssh 8.1p1.  This supports my conjecture that the problematic
carriage return in the prompt comes from openssh.  If anyone else
running a system with openssh 8.{1,2,3}p1 can reproduce the problem,
then perhaps a different way of handling it than changing the default
value of comint-password-prompt-regexp can be found.

Steve Berman