Subject: bug#43003: 28.0.50; comint-password-prompt-regexp too restrictive

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 16:53:45 +0200

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 16:08:58 +0200 Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>>> +   "\\(^ *\\|\\|"
>>
>> (It looks like Gnus removed the ^M characters.)
>
> Yeah, probably better to use \r instead of the ^M character directly.

Oh, yes, of course.

>> Yes, I just tested again and the password is indeed hidden only when
>> `\\|' follows `^M' in the regexp.  Apparently I omitted that when I
>> made the diff for the patch after testing yesterday...
>
> That makes more sense.  But I don't think having ^M as a password prompt
> regexp makes all that much sense, though -- surely there's no ^M
> involved in prompting on non-Windows systems,

except, apparently, on mine ;-)

>                                               and there you'll surely
> find ^Ms all over the place, not just in password prompts?

True, I wasn't thinking about that.  Then I guess it's best to leave
comint-password-prompt-regexp as is and I'll just change it locally.
The problem I have with it doesn't seem to be widespread, to say the
least.  So feel free to close the bug.

Steve Berman