Subject: Re: bug#43001: 27.1; bad fontification of Common Lisp uninterned symbols

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 14:35:51 +0200

Robert Brown <[email-masked]> writes:

> An uninterned symbol looks like "#:my-symbol".  The change causes "#:"
> to be displayed with one face and "my-symbol" with another.  That's bad.
> Fontification signals a semantic property The entire thing is a symbol,
> so it should be displayed using one face.  What face should we use?
> Keyword symbols are displayed using font-lock-builtin-face, so that's
> what I would use.

Makes sense; I've now made this change in Emacs 28.

> Why I'm commenting on Lisp fontification ...  Symbols that start with an
> ampersand character are currently being displayed using
> font-lock-type-face, which doesn't make much sense, since they too are
> symbols.  Perhaps they should be displayed using font-lock-builtin-face
> too.

I think it's fine to use that face in Lisp mode (since it's largely
unused in Lisp mode otherwise).  The face names aren't very descriptive,
though.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no