Subject: bug#42993: 26.3; [PATCH] Let Info bookmarks go to current, not recorded, version of manual

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 09:26:35 +0300

> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 23:07:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> An Info bookmark, like most bookmarks, records the target file as an
> absolute file name.  When you jump to an Info bookmark it jumps to the
> recorded node in that Info file.
> 
> But what if you have Info bookmarks that were recorded for older Emacs
> versions?  They typically have different absolute file names.  When you
> jump to such a bookmark it will go to the manual for that older Emacs
> version, if you still have it installed (and the Info files are at the
> same locations as recorded by the bookmark).

The "official" way of installing Emacs will put the Info files into a
single directory, so installing a newer version will overwrite the
Info files with those of the newer version, leaving the absolute file
name of the manual unchanged.

So it sounds like you are suggesting a solution for a problem that
happens only for users who for some reason install each Emacs version
in a different place.  How many such users are there?