Subject: bug#42991: Rust support

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 11:53:49 +0100

On 2020-08-25 04:46, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
> 
>   > > There are two Emacs modes for Rust already (rust-mode and
>   > > rustic). Neither are under GPL and both have a lot of 
> contributors, so
>   > > getting those into the Emacs distribution would be an uphill 
> struggle.
> 
>   > And rust-mode is on Melpa, so users can just install it via M-x
>   > list-packages, if they want to.
> 
> They can do that if they enable MELPA.  But we want to have a good
> Rust mode included in the Emacs core.

Well, there are already two rust modes (rust-mode and rustic) which have 
significant amounts of shared code, so that I've ended up fixing bugs in 
the two places. Having a third code base would be unfortunate. So, if 
you want this, I think find a way to get either rust-mode or rustic into 
core.

Phil