Subject: bug#42989: closed (Re: bug#42989: Subtle Typo in guix-daemon.service installed by guix-install.sh)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 02:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42989: Subtle Typo in guix-daemon.service installed by guix-install.sh

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42989: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42989
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42989: Subtle Typo in guix-daemon.service installed by guix-install.sh
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: Michael Gorlick <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 22:18:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 12:22:13PM -0700, Michael Gorlick wrote:
>> You are right and the confusion is mine. The reason the error messages
>> disappeared is that thanks to a "guix pull", a "guix upgrade", and a "guix
>> install glibc-utf8-locales" on user "root" I now have the latest version of
>> the utf8-locales, 2.31, installed at
>> */var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/lib/locale.*
>> 
>> Sorry for the bother. However, judging by prior discussions not everyone
>> understands that the build daemons rely in this way on the guix-profile of
>> the root. It would help if the documentation pointed out this common
>> misunderstanding and explicitly advised users on foreign distributions to
>> pull and upgrade the root profile regularly.
>
> Yeah, locales are one of the bigger user experience problem with Guix :/
> The warnings are a definite improvement over how it used to be, when
> glibc would simply ABORT any program that was using the wrong version of
> locales.
>
> We are still searching for a solid solution to the problem, as we've
> been tweaking the documentation for years now, but people still report
> the warnings all the time.

I think the situation has improved a lot in recent years.  I'll close
this since the title is misguided, and since it's very old :-).

Thank you,

Maxim

Subject: Subtle Typo in guix-daemon.service installed by guix-install.sh
From: Michael Gorlick <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 09:46:05 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

There is a wee typo in the systemd file *guix-daemon.service* installed on
Ubuntu 20.04 by the guix-install.sh script.
The text of */root/.config/guix/current/lib/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service
*contains the text:

Environment='GUIX_LOCPATH=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/lib/locale'
LC_ALL=en_US.utf8

The portion .../guix-profile/... should read .../*.guix-profile/*..., in
other words the path as given omits the requisite single period (.) as the
prefix of the directory .guix-profile.

This minor oversight accounts in part for the  *guile: warning: failed to
install locale *error and related warnings that have cropped up repeatedly
when the build daemons are invoked

To test this fix:

   - I edited the guix-daemon.service specification in place at
   /etc/systemd/system by hand
   - Rebooted to restart the guix build daemons (I detest systemd and I'm
   lazy besides)
   - *guix pull *for my personal userland account
   - *guix package -u* to upgrade same
   - *guix package -i libc-utf8-locales* to upgrade my locales from 2.29 to
   2.31
   - *sudo -i guix pull* to update the root's view of guix
   - *sudo -i guix package -u* for an upgrade of same
   - *sudo -i guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales* to have the latest
   version of the UTF-8 locales installed in ~root/.guix-profile/lib/locale

In subsequent user-level *guix install X* commands the warning no longer
appears nor do the build daemons complain about failing to set the locale
to *en_US.utf8*