Subject: bug#42984: closed (Re: bug#42984: 27.1; package-list results in error while updating archive due to malformed path)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 16:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42984: 27.1; package-list results in error while updating archive due to malformed path

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42984: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42984
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42984: 27.1; package-list results in error while updating archive due to malformed path
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Mirko Vukovic <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 18:36:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Mirko Vukovic <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 10:58:13 -0500
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> I think this solved it:
> 
> 1 Installed MinGW version: pacman -S mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-gnupg
> 2 Started emacs -Q in the MingGW64 terminal (not the MSYS2 terminal)
> 3 package-list-packages completes without errors:
> 
> From the *Messages* buffer:
> 
> Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
> Setting ‘package-selected-packages’ temporarily since "emacs -q" would overwrite customizations
> Package refresh done
> Packages that can be upgraded: 2; type ‘U’ to mark for upgrading.
> 
> To me this implies that gnupg should be installed along with Emacs 27.1 in MinGW64. I will try to contact the
> maintainer to suggest that.

Yes, using MSYS2 ports of programs with the MinGW Emacs is prone to
subtle hard-to-debug errors.  MinGW ports should be preferred.

> Thank you very much for your help.

You are welcome.  I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 27.1; package-list results in error while updating archive due to malformed path
From: Mirko Vukovic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 10:06:23 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This report mirrors the issue I submitted to Spacemacs as issue 13866. This
issue
has not received any replies yet. Since then I reproduced the issue with
'emacs -Q'

Link to Spacemacs issue (with diagnostic and traceback info)
- https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/13866

I run Emacs on MSYS2. On August 20, 2020, I refreshed MSYS2 packages
and Emacs 27.1 was installed.

This problem is generated with 'emacs -Q --debug-init':
- no traceback info generated despite '--debug-init'
- When Emacs comes up, execute command: 'package-list'
- The package list comes up (it has 478 packages)
- The *Error* buffer comes up with the following contents:

Failed to verify signature archive-contents.sig:
No public key for 066DAFCB81E42C40 created at 2020-08-22T05:05:02-0400
using RSA
Command output:
gpg: keyblock resource
'/c/Users/977315/c:/Users/977315/.emacs.d/elpa/gnupg/pubring.kbx': No such
file or directory
gpg: Signature made Sat, Aug 22, 2020  5:05:02 AM EDT
gpg:                using RSA key C433554766D3DDC64221BFAA066DAFCB81E42C40
gpg: Can't check signature: No public key

The offending file path consists of the current directory, followed by
c:/Users/977315/.emacs.d/elpa/...
I verified this by launching emacs from a different directory. That change
would be reflected in the filepath, for example, when launched from the
~/tmp directory:
gpg: keyblock resource
'/c/Users/977315/tmp/c:/Users/977315/.emacs.d/elpa/gnupg/pubring.kbx': No
such file or directory

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2020-08-11 built on fv-az75
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17763
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (v10.0.1809.17763.1339)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Setting ‘package-selected-packages’ temporarily since "emacs -q" would
overwrite customizations
Package refresh done
error in process filter: package--check-signature-content: Failed to verify
signature: "archive-contents.sig"
error in process filter: Failed to verify signature: "archive-contents.sig"
You can run the command ‘package-list-packages’ with M-x pa-l- RET
error in process filter: Failed to verify signature: "archive-contents.sig"

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/mingw64 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-modules
 --without-dbus --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe' CPPFLAGS=-D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO=1
 LDFLAGS=-pipe'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Package Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail help-mode mm-archive message
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils mule-util
cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit gnutls network-stream url-http
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw
nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap epg
epg-config finder-inf package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 168321 9580)
 (symbols 48 10138 1)
 (strings 32 37790 3595)
 (string-bytes 1 1045947)
 (vectors 16 16682)
 (vector-slots 8 200678 15938)
 (floats 8 35 249)
 (intervals 56 11569 0)
 (buffers 1000 13))