Subject: bug#4298 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#4298: .egg files could open in archive-mode by default)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 19:40:10 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4298: .egg files could open in archive-mode by default

It has been closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4298: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4298
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#4298: .egg files could open in archive-mode by default
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:35:31 -0400

Juri Linkov wrote:

> Emacs should support this regardless of the libmagic presence.
>
> Could you please try to open an .egg file in the latest CVS.

I downloaded a random .egg file and it opened fine for me in the CVS
trunk (not in 23.1).

Subject: .egg files could open in archive-mode by default
From: Gareth Rees <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:58:42 +0100

Python modules are often distributed as files with the extension  
".egg". These are just ZIP files with a convention about the layout of  
the contents, as described in [1].

It would be nice if Emacs could open these files in archive-mode by  
default, either by adding an entry for the file extension ".egg" to  
auto-mode-alist, or by adding a suitable pattern for ZIP files to  
magic-fallback-mode-alist.

(Perhaps this suggestion will become moot when libmagic is integrated  
into Emacs.)

[1] "The Internal Structure of Python Eggs"; http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/setuptools/doc/formats.txt

-- 
Gareth Rees