Subject: 28.0.50; Tool bar button click doesn't update the tool bar immediately

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 11:52:04 -0300

Consider the following:
1. emacs -Q
2. In the scratch buffer, evaluate the following:
(defvar foo t)

(defun set-foo-to-nil ()
  "Set `foo' to nil."
  (interactive)
  (setq foo nil))

(tool-bar-add-item "refresh" 'set-foo-to-nil nil :enable 'foo
  :label "foo-refresh")

3. Do some clicks or whatever, so that the item foo-refresh appears (I
guess this is bug#19480).
4. Now click the foo-refresh button.  I expected the button to get
disabled immediately, but that doesn't happen.
5. Click in the buffer, and the button will be disabled.

Could Emacs update the tool bar immediately when the user clicks on a
tool bar button? Or am I forced (no pun intended) to use
`force-mode-line-update' in the commands that may alter the
enable/disable state of the tool bar buttons, even when the commands
run because of a tool bar button click?

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30,
cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2020-08-20 built on tbb-desktop
Repository revision: a566e409d0d962d3c2870691175836da22c31111
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE
XIM MODULES THREADS PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs
cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44547 5333)
 (symbols 48 5963 1)
 (strings 32 15413 1637)
 (string-bytes 1 503972)
 (vectors 16 9833)
 (vector-slots 8 144854 10085)
 (floats 8 21 45)
 (intervals 56 224 4)
 (buffers 992 11))