Subject: bug#4293 closed by Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> (Re: use pop-to-buffer, not switch...other-window, in bookmark.el)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 02:10:10 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4293: 23.1; use pop-to-buffer, not switch...other-window, in bookmark.el

It has been closed by Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4293: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4293
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: use pop-to-buffer, not switch...other-window, in bookmark.el
From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 22:01:43 -0400

tags unreproducible
--

Closing this as "unreproducible".  Or anyway, attempting to close as
unreproducible -- our bug tracker is too unusuable for me to be
confident of the effects of the commands I'm trying to issue.

FWIW, here's a response I typed up before reading the full bug
correspondence.  It's not relevant anymore, but if the bug ever
reappears, it might become relevant to testers:

  This would change the user-visible behavior.  For example, assume
  you're in a frame with one window, displaying buffer X.  In the
  current code, doing 'M-x bookmark-jump-other-window' and entering
  bookmark "foo" at the prompt will open a new window displaying buffer
  Y (assuming 'foo' points to a location in Y).  In other words, the
  frame will be divided into two windows.

  But if we replace "switch-to-buffer-other-window" with "pop-to-buffer"
  in `bookmark-jump-other-window', then the new behavior will be to
  *replace* the current whole-frame window displaying X with a new
  whole-frame window displaying Y.  That is not the desired behavior.

Subject: 23.1; use pop-to-buffer, not switch...other-window, in bookmark.el
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 07:52:34 -0700

In bookmark-jump-other-window and bookmark-bmenu-other-window we call
switch-to-buffer-other-window. We should use pop-to-buffer, instead.
 
With non-nil pop-up-frames, switch-to-buffer-other-window creates a
new frame each time, even if the destination buffer is already showing
in some frame. pop-to-buffer DTRT: it reuses the existing frame.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'