Subject: Re: bug#4293: 23.1; use pop-to-buffer, not switch...other-window, in bookmark.el

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:22:40 -0400

> Users should not have to customize a global variable, to prevent a new frame
> from being used in particular places like this.

I believe you are a bit confused about what's happening.  Sticking to
the fact, your bug report complains that bookmark created a new frame
when it could have reused another one, right?

AFAICT, switch-to-buffer-other-window and pop-to-buffer should behave
identically in this respect, to the extend that you pass a non-nil
`other-window' argument to pop-to-buffer.

So most likely the problem is in pop-to-buffer (which is used by
switch-to-buffer-other-window).

> As Stefan says repeatedly (paraphrasing), switch-to-buffer-other-window is
> almost always the wrong thing to do, and should be replaced in most places by
> pop-to-buffer.

Actually, no: switch-to-buffer-other-window is just a wrapper around
pop-to-buffer, and doesn't bother me at all.
It's switch-to-buffer that's a problem when called from Lisp.

        Stefan