Subject: Re: bug#42916: 26.3; `view-lossage': include timestamp

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 23:26:13 +0200

"Peder O. Klingenberg" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On on., 2020-08-19 kl. 11.49 +0200 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> This would mean querying (and storing) the time stamp of all keystrokes,
>> which seems excessive for such a marginal feature.
>
> An alternative could be to dump a dedicated timestamp event into the log
> every <mumble> minutes or so.  It wouldn't give you exact timings, but
> could tell you whether you're looking at something you typed last month
> or five minuts ago, and wouldn't require more work on every keystroke.

Hm, yes, that might be a good idea...

On the other hand, the last time I poked at the lossage data, it wasn't
a lot of fun: It's used by normal typing as well as the keyboard macro
binding stuff, so it's a bit of a prickly data structure.  If I remember
correctly; it's been at least a couple of years since I poked at it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no