Subject: bug#4291: 23.1; doc-view-mode temporary directory vulnerable to denial of service

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:16:06 -0400

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>> IIRC /tmp/docview$uid is predictable because doc-view tries to reuse
>>>> previouly-rendered pages.  I'm not convinced this is really a good
>>>> feature, but obviously the author thought it was important, so I'd
>>>> rather not drop it without a discussion.
>>>
>>> It could just stash the directory name in a variable, and use the normal
>>> `make-temp-file' to create the directory, couldn't it?
>>
>> I think the idea referred to above is to potentially re-use pages
>> converted by a previous Emacs instance (which seems like a bad feature
>> to me too).
>
> Oh, I see.  Hm.  Sounds like a bad idea to me, too.  :-)

I think the idea is that if you view the same pdf N times in Emacs, the
disk space won't increase monotonically (Emacs doesn't delete any of
those files AFAIK).