Subject: bug#42907: 27.1; attempted package install says package "disabled"

From: John Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 13:01:32 -0400

From: Johnnie Walker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 27.1; attempted package install says package "disabled"
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 12:58:00 -0400
Message-ID:
<[email-masked]>
--text follows this line--

Hi,
This has happened for some time now:
- i go to install a package M-x package-install <NAME> and I get an
error saying package is "disabled"
- what I find is that if I do M-x list-packages (I forget full command
name) - and then find the pacakge and hit Install it will say there is a
dependency and gives that package name
- so I go to that one and if it Installs then great I go back to the
first - if not I go on until I find the base dependency
- in other words, the pacakge install process doesn't seem to install
dependencies by default

I did post on stackexchange:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/54081/install-package-issue-says-disabled-doesnt-auto-install-dependencies
and recommendation was I filed a bug as the response should indicate
what the problem is (re the initial "disabled" response)

Thanks,
JW

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30,
cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2020-08-15 built on lgw01-amd64-036
Repository revision: ab1868e187771edfbef471a74f100bd79d3f4463
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

Recent messages:
[yas] Prepared just-in-time loading of snippets successfully.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
helm-M-x: Required package ‘treemacs’ is disabled
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix= --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-xwidgets
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo
 'CFLAGS= -isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include'
 'CPPFLAGS= -isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include'
 'LDFLAGS= -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  helm-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  cl-old-struct-compat-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs vc vc-dispatcher project mail-extr emacsbug message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils winner
helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug backtrace helm-info face-remap
.emacs helm-mode helm-files helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags
helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match helm-lib helm-config
helm-easymenu async-bytecomp async org-journal org-crypt cal-iso
doom-modeline doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env
doom-modeline-core shrink-path f s all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons memoize neotree undo-tree diff
yasnippet-snippets cl-extra yasnippet flycheck rx flymake-proc flymake
compile warnings thingatpt help-mode solarized-dark-theme solarized
color dash auto-complete-config auto-complete popup ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree generator org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces
org-entities time-date noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func edmacro kmacro cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs finder-inf info package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 382716 23872)
 (symbols 48 30187 1)
 (strings 32 118669 3967)
 (string-bytes 1 3669130)
 (vectors 16 47390)
 (vector-slots 8 645148 11070)
 (floats 8 707 264)
 (intervals 56 480 859)
 (buffers 1000 17))