Subject: Re: [bug#42885] [PATCH 2/4] gnu: Add mathjax-bin (MathJax 3).

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 15:10:54 +0200

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I had thought js-mathjax was just the component files too and not
>> truely built from source. Maybe I was wrong. Currently, building this
>> from the true source requires a huge number of js packages and we
>> haven't got a npm importer and full JavaScript bootstrap yet so I
>> wasn't sure what to do.
>
> True. js-mathjax is not truly built from source. A true source build
> will properly depend on a huge number of other js packaces. js-mathjax
> only redoes the minification step. In light of this, perhaps we should
> remove js-mathjax from Guix. But, I'm not sure.

js-mathjax does not contain minified JavaScript.  The code is in
editable and readable form although it is not in the form that upstream
uses for development.  In this case I still consider it to be actual
source code, because for the purposes of Guix this is the preferred
format (given that we have no way of building the sources in the format
that is used by upstream).

-- 
Ricardo