Subject: [bug#42885] [PATCH 2/4] gnu: Add mathjax-bin (MathJax 3).

From: Brendan Tildesley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 17:41:10 +1000

On August 24, 2020 4:44:37 PM GMT+10:00, Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I had thought js-mathjax was just the component files too and not
>> truely built from source. Maybe I was wrong. Currently, building this
>> from the true source requires a huge number of js packages and we
>> haven't got a npm importer and full JavaScript bootstrap yet so I
>> wasn't sure what to do.
>
>True. js-mathjax is not truly built from source. A true source build
>will properly depend on a huge number of other js packaces. js-mathjax
>only redoes the minification step. In light of this, perhaps we should
>remove js-mathjax from Guix. But, I'm not sure.
>
>> If you like we can ignore this and I can modify calibre to disable
>> mathjax for now since I don't think it works with the old mathjax 2.
>I
>> would like to work on getting more JavaScript in to guix properly
>
>Yes, disabling mathjax for calibre is a good way to go if the
>functionality is not too critical. But, I don't know much about
>calibre. So, someone else should take a call.

Its just for rendering math in the eBook-viewer for books that include it. It shouldn't be essential. The reason I felt OK adding it is because its not like its actually proprietary, its just we haven't gotten around to integrating JavaScript into guix yet fully, and it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon.