Subject: Re: [bug#42885] [PATCH 23/27] gnu: calibre: Update to 5.13.0.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 19:05:35 -0400

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 03:13:26AM +0100, Brendan Tildesley wrote:
> https://notabug.org/Brendan/guix/src/calibre-5.13.0

Can you clarify some things about the commit "gnu: python-pyqt: Fix
build for new python-sip"? First, python-pyqt before applying this
commit; if it's broken, can you say how?

Also, there is a comment "Linking here means the sip module can be found
without python-pyqt5-sip needing to be added as an input". But,
python-pyqt5-sip is an input to this package. Can you explain what you
mean?

I think we should drop the commit "gnu: calibre: Add qtsvg as input.",
since it adds a dependency but for what seems to be no reason. What do
you think?

Based on your branch, I've made the following changes and pushed the
branch at
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?h=wip-update-calibre>.

Can you take a look and tell me what you think?

I squashed the first two commits, so that there is no commit where
python2-sip fails to build. It's not always easy to avoid intermediate
breakage in complicated package upgrades like this, but it's worth
trying. At least, it can improve the utility of `git bisect`.

I also squashed the "fix veusz" commit into that one, for the same
reason. And all the rest of the commits that are adjusting to that
change.

For the "Fix build for new python-sip" commit, I removed the hardcoding
of "python3.8" in the 'pyqt5-sip' phase, and instead used the
python-version procedure.

I squashed the remaining cleanup-type commits into the Calibre update.

I pushed the commit 'gnu: python-poppler-qt5: Update to 21.1.0.' as
02f664a0a3dd3a936213e687802bdc62f2a10983

I corrected the license of python-pychm from gpl3 to gpl2+.

I made many other changes to satisfy `guix lint`, and improved synopses
and descriptions.