Subject: bug#42865: 28.0.50; Add new 'copy-region-quietly' defcustom

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 09:32:52 -0700

Hello Lars,

On Tue 18 Aug 2020 at 03:37PM +02, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> +(defcustom copy-region-quietly nil
>> +  "Whether the copying of an inactive region is indicated visually.
>> +If nil, behave as per the documentation of `indicate-copied-region'.
>> +`no-swap' means inhibit briefly swapping point and mark.
>> +`no-message' means inhibit displaying a message.
>> +Any other value means inhibit both swapping and message-displaying."
>> +  :type '(choice :tag "Copy region quietly"
>> +                 (const :tag "Default behavior" nil)
>> +                 (const :tag "Don't swap point and mark" no-swap)
>> +                 (const :tag "Don't display a message" no-message)
>> +                 (const
>> +                  :tag
>> +                  "Don't swap point and mark or display a message"
>> +                  t))
>> +  :group 'killing)
>
> Thanks for the patch.
>
> The change looks reasonable to me, but I'm not quite sure of how useful
> this is.  Does many people want to tweak the behaviour of this command
> to this extent?
>
> Perhaps somebody else on the bug tracker has opinions here.

I just want to turn off the cursor blinking, but I thought I ought to
try to come up with a slightly more general solution just in case
someone wants it.

Currently I have (fset 'indicate-copied-region #'ignore) in my init file
but this is not a great way to customise something like this, hence my
patch.

It certainly seems plausible to me that others would want to turn off
the cursor blinking, but I'm not sure about how many people care about
the message.  If you think it would be better I could come up with a
simpler patch which only turns off blinking.

-- 
Sean Whitton