Subject: Re: bug#42865: 28.0.50; Add new 'copy-region-quietly' defcustom

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 12:25:00 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Regarding a new option to disable such messages at all, it seems this
> is a more general question because AFAIR, in the past, users asked for
> a way to disable messages for many other commands, such as "Wrote ..."
> of 'save-buffer', etc.
>
> Maybe there should be a new feature allowing to disable messages selectively
> for different commands?  Maybe just by putting a symbol property on the
> command symbol.

Many commands can issue different messages, while it's normally just the
specific "everything went well" thing users want to disable.  So I think
that may be confusing, interface wise?

But perhaps not?  If the symbol wasn't `silent' but instead
`no-normal-message' or something, then that could be used to disable any
messaging in the command on the "happy path".

> Regarding disabling the "swapping point and mark" feature: since
> 'indicate-copied-region' uses 'blink-matching-delay', shouldn't this
> behaviour be disabled by the existing option 'blink-matching-paren-on-screen'
> in 'indicate-copied-region' as well (in addition to 'blink-matching-open'
> where it's used originally)?

Hm...  I'd think paren blinking and copy-region blinking would be
something people would want to control separately.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no