Subject: Re: CVS: lisp/ido.el -- improve ido-ignore-files

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 10:26:05 -0500

Jari Aalto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Change against Emacs CVS tree as of 2009-08-29 11:5 UTC
>>>
>>> 2009-08-29  Jari Aalto  <[email-masked]>
>>>
>>>         * ido.el (ido-ignore-files): Add RCS, svn, darcs, sh, git, mtn
>>>         version control directories.
>>
>> This change makes sense only if we never want to change these
>> directories.  In practice, if you are trying to complete a dotfile, you
>> are already planning to do something funky, so Emacs probably shouldn't
>> try to do any second-guessing.
>
> Dot-file is not the same as version controlled control directory.

By version control directories, you mean .svn, .bzr, etc., right?  If I
understand your proposal correctly, it's to prevent ido from offering
these directories if the user tries types "." in the minibuffer.  But in
that case, as I said, the intention is clearly to edit a dotfile, so
something funky is already intended.  Correct me if I misunderstand.