Subject: Re: bug#42842: 27.0.91; indent-rigidly deactivates the mark with no visual cues

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 17:54:16 +0200

Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]> writes:

> C-x TAB deactivates the mark before running any other command.
> I don't think it's appropriate : 
>
> if I use C-x TAB <right> <right> 
> then I can see the mark is still active (the region is highlighted). 
> but if I now use a command which uses the active region (e.g. M-% or TAB), 
> it doesn't act on the region anymore. 

[...]

> My suggestion is to either revert 9ae89c2c99c or add a note in the 
> docstring, e.g : 
>
>> Typing any other key deactivates the transient mode. If 
>> transient-mark-mode is enabled, it also deactivates the mark. It can 
>> be reactivated using \\[exchange-point-and-mark] 

Thansk, I've now added something like this to the doc string in Emacs
28, but left the last line out -- it makes it sound like there's
something special this command does, and exchange-point-and-mark always
does this (when transient mark mode is in use).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no