Subject: Re: bug#42839: [PATCH] Support displaying line numbers in goto-line

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 07:30:40 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The variable display-line-numbers is not a simple boolean, it can have
> several values.  I think you intended to show absolute line numbers in
> this case, so just testing whether display-line-numbers is non-nil is
> not enough.  Similarly, restoring the original setting needs more than
> just a call to display-line-numbers-mode.

Right, you are completely correct of course.  I suppose we would also
have to consider that the user might have nlinum, linum, and possibly
other conflicting modes activated.

I should have been more clear that this was more a proof of concept to
see if the idea would fly.

> And this needs a NEWS entry.

Yup.

> Other than that, if someone wants this optional feature, why not?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas