Subject: Re: bug#42824: 26.3; Feature request: implement 'smooth scroll' in djvu.el package

From: dalanicolai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 15:53:02 +0100

Well, it is just more or less the function
`doc-view-next-line-or-next-page` (i.e. `C-n`) slightly adapted to
djvu-mode, because djvu-mode works slightly differently.
It is meant for `djvu-image-mode-only` but I have simply bound it in the
`djvu-read-mode-map` and it seems to handle things fine.
It is just a small addition that slightly improves the scrolling experience
(i.e. it becomes like that in doc-view).

While I am here anyway, I have also created some code to implement
`djvu-occur`
similar to `pdf-occur` (but synchronous instead of async) which works fine
for most djvu documents. Also I have added some annotation drawing features.
I have created a new github repo for it here
<https://github.com/dalanicolai/djvu2.el>. So if you are interested you
could have a look at it or even test it.
However, I am not a very experienced elisp programmer, and although the
`djvu-occur` code could probably could get merged without too much
improvements, the code for annotation drawing can get cleaned up quite a
bit.

Anyway, I am just informing you about it. I don't expect anyone to spend
much time on it, as there is a good working pdf-tools already.
I am just playing with it a little, becauseI I think it would be great if
djvu.el and pdf-tools.el functionality could all get merged into doc-view
at some point.
But I fully understand that time and resources of volunteers generally are
very limited and that it does not have too much priority anyway (as
mentioned in djvu.el, djview already exists).

Okay, getting very much off topic here. In short, to me it seems that these
scrolling functions handle cases consistently enough. Maybe they can be
added as an option (and get documented as a not well-tested hack). If the
code was on github/gitlab/etc, I would just have created an issue and there
could be made a reference to the issue for people interested.

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 20:45, Roland Winkler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue Oct 27 2020 dalanicolai wrote:
> > FYI it is inspired by `pdf-view-next-line-or-next-page` (and
> > complement) of the pdf-tools package.
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 at 22:43, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> >     Roland, could you take a look at this suggestion -- I've not used
> >     djvu.el myself, so I'm not sure whether this would make sense or not:
>
> Thanks, I want to see how this can be used with Djvu mode.
>
> Is there a generic keybinding for similar commands in other modes?
>
> Are the suggested commands to be used with djvu-image-mode only or
> also with the text-based Djvu mode?  Certainly, these use cases
> should be handled consistently.
>