Subject: request: make guix upgrade recognize --do-not-upgrade

From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:37:06 -0600

From the manual:

    • ‘guix search’ is an alias for ‘guix package -s’,
    • ‘guix install’ is an alias for ‘guix package -i’,
    • ‘guix remove’ is an alias for ‘guix package -r’,
    • ‘guix upgrade’ is an alias for ‘guix package -u’,
    • and ‘guix show’ is an alias for ‘guix package --show=’.

One option for "guix package -u" I often find myself using is 
--do-not-upgrade. However, guix upgrade does not recognize that option.

When I run "guix upgrade --do-not-upgrade=ungoogled-chromium" I get the 
following results:

guix upgrade: error: do-not-upgrade=ungoogled-chromium: unrecognized option

This is a bit frustrating, because I want to be able to upgrade all my 
profiles with the command:

"guix package --list-profiles | xargs -n1 guix upgrade 
--do-not-upgrade=ungoogled-chromium"

But it prints the above error for every profile and doesn't actually do 
anything.

For now, my work-around is code like the following:

"for profile in $(guix package --list-profiles); do guix package -p 
$profile --do-not-upgrade=ungoogled-chromium -u; done"

As you can see, this is quite a bit more complex than it needs to be.

So, why not have guix upgrade recognize the --do-not-upgrade option?