Subject: bug#42811: closed (Re: bug#42811: 26.1; visual-line-mode wraps at no-break space)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 10:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42811: 26.1; visual-line-mode wraps at no-break space

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42811: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42811
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42811: 26.1; visual-line-mode wraps at no-break space
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Marvin ‘quintus’ Gülker <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 13:33:52 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Marvin ‘quintus’ Gülker
>  <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 07:59:06 +0200
> 
> Am Dienstag, dem 11. August 2020 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
> > If you set nobreak-char-display to nil, you get the behavior you want.
> 
> Indeed, this works. But now the NBSP is not highlighted anymore as a
> special character and I won't notice it is in there. Is there a way to
> have both the highlighted display and the no-break behaviour?

I made such a change (on the master branch), not without some
trepidation, as the current behavior is very old (15 years), so I
wonder whether some feature relies on that.  We shall see, I guess.

Note that when nobreak-char-display is non-nil and non-t, we still
produce an ASCII space after the backslash-escape, so the display
engine will still wrap at that spot.  But here, I cannot make the same
change, because the Emacs manual clearly documents this behavior.

Thanks.

Subject: 26.1; visual-line-mode wraps at no-break space
From: Marvin ‘quintus’ Gülker<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 16:03:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear maintainer,

the visual-line-mode minor mode wraps lines at non-breaking spaces
(U+000A0 No-Break Space, NBSP: ' '). It should not do that and instead
treat the sequence of characters before and after the NBSP as one
word. That is, if you have:

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
                     ^
                   NBSP

Then visual-line-mode will consider the no-break space between 'dolor'
and 'sit' as a possible wrap point, which is contrary to what a no-break
space is meant to achieve.

To reproduce: enable visual-line-mode, write a document that contains a
NBSP, and shrink the window so that its edge hits the NBSP.
visual-line-mode will break the line at the NBSP, albeit it shouldn't.

  -quintus

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2019-09-23, modified by Debian built on x86-grnet-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-StqULU/emacs-26.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 95477 8514)
 (symbols 48 20406 1)
 (miscs 40 44 143)
 (strings 32 28378 1537)
 (string-bytes 1 743439)
 (vectors 16 14637)
 (vector-slots 8 496344 10838)
 (floats 8 49 68)
 (intervals 56 261 0)
 (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Dipl.-Jur. M. Gülker | https://mg.guelker.eu |    For security:
Unna, Germany        | [email-masked]    | () Avoid HTML e-mail
European Union       | PGP: see homepage     | /\ http://asciiribbon.org