Subject: Re: bug#42810: Guix doesn't follow all symlinks

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 13:01:36 +0200

Dear,

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 12:24, Steffen Rytter Postas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Why does the concept of installing applications as root not apply?

Because one of the Guix aims is to be "root-less".  Each user is doing
whatever they wants in their $HOME directory.
On foreign distro, the only role of the sysadmin (root) is to update the daemon.

> While I am aware that all applications are installed in the /gnu/store,
> this does not imply that there are different application needs between
> the root user and a normal user.

I am not sure to understand what it means.

> So rather than being a bug in Guix itself, it's a bug in the
> installation script that does not setup the host distribution for being
> able to process the correct location then, no?

What do you mean by "correct location"?

You could be interested by these tutorial videos:

   < https://guix.gnu.org/videos/>

> Or if it's because the user of Guix on a foreign distribution needs to
> setup more for the use case of adding channels to work, when running
> only one version of guix on the system, then it would be missing
> documentation.

I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean.

> While I don't have a say in this, I also do not mind changing this from
> a bug of guix to an issue somewhere else, but where would it be? Or is
> the casual user of guix that elects to simply add a channel simply left
> to their own devices on undocumented behaviour?

Again, I am sorry too because I miss what you mean.

Maybe you could send your comments on the mailing list
<[email-masked]> and others will have better wordings than mine.
:-)

All the best,
simon